About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Is it Hard to Take Care of Frankie?


Question submitted by Josh, age 11

My mom said I could answer this question cause I have heard her tell other lots of times that it really is not hard to take care of me. I do require a little more care than other dogs, but mom says she does not mind. She hugs me close and tells me how she loves taking care of me. Aren't I a lucky dog?
What I really need help with is going to the bathroom. My mom trained me to balance my front feet on the end of the toilet. Then she feels towards the back of my tummy where my bladder is. When it is full it feels like a balloon with lots of water in it. She squeezes real gentle and out comes the potty... right into the toilet... then FLUSH! Hee Hee.
Other than that I get a bath once a week in the sink which I really love. And I need help getting in and out of my wheelchair which takes about 1 minute or less. Mom says, yes, it was an adjustment, but now it is just part of our days and our routine and is no big deal at all.
I'm so glad my mom loves me so much! I love her too. Arf-a-roo!

1 comment:

Bugbug said...

Dear Frankie....from the grade 4's...you are so lucky to have a mom that will take care of you!