About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Frankie Surprises Young Boy for his 11th Birthday

Last Saturday Frankie and I surprised a very special young boy named Brandon for his 11th birthday. I had visited his school the year before. Brandon's mom called my mom awhile back and asked if there was any way we could stop by and surprise Brandon for his birthday party. She told us that Brandon talks about me all the time. I was quite flattered. ARF!
So last Saturday, Mom and I drove to Fond du Lac which is about 30 minutes from where we live. Brandon and his friends were out in the backyard playing. Brandon's mom, Tricia instructed us to go into the garage where tables and snacks were set up for the boys.

One of the mom's yelled out the back garage service door that it was time to come into the garage. She said, "Brandon, your surprise is here!"  Keeping the door closed most of the way until all the boys were outside it, my mom and I waited patiently.

The door then opened and Brandon was in front of all his friends. His mom said, "Surprise, Brandon!  Look whose here!" Brandon was looking up and all over... and ahem, I happen to be quite short, so he wasn't looking down. My mom pointed to the ground and said, "Brandon, look down."

When Brandon looked down and saw me his mouth opened wide and his eyes grew big as saucers!  He ran right over to me, stooped down and started to pet me. He didn't really say anything, but I could see he was surprised. He then sat down on the garage stoop. His mom said, "Brandon, do you have tears in your eyes?" He said, "I'm so happy Frankie is here!"
I'm telling Brandon a secret... but it's a secret so it's only between Brandon and me!

So this was a gift for Brandon for his birthday, but I have to say.... my little doggie heart grew three times its size in that moment realizing how thrilled Brandon was to have me there.

His friends were all very cool and fun- everyone taking turns petting me. It was the best!  Brandon told my mom two times how much he likes the book about me. Awww gosh, that made us blush!


Brandon didn't want me to leave, but after about 45 minutes it was time for a well deserved doggie nap for me. Brandon said to my mom, "Can I walk her to your car?"  My mom said, "Of course you can. And you can even put Frankie in her doggie car seat for me."

Brandon did just that and then hugged me and hugged me. What a wonderful young man. He is going to make a great doggie care taker some day- I just know it.

You can follow me on Facebook where I share updates and specials on my books and products. Or follow me on Twitter too!
Also please check out my Disabled Animal Rescue page on Facebook. This is my way of helping animals with special needs find their forever homes. Please feel free to share special needs pets that need homes on this special page.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Dachshund Nola said...

Good job Frankie!
Kisses and Tail Wags,
Dachshund Nola