About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Special Needs Pet Feature: Charlotte

There are so many caring pet parents out there who take care of special needs pets. To bring more attention to these joyful animals, and extraordinary people, this is a new feature to my blog. If you care for a special needs pet and would like your pet featured, please email my mom through her website contact.  Send a photo and she will forward the questionnaire for your pet to be featured in an upcoming post.

Patio4
What is your pets name?

Charlotte

How old is your pet?

She was one month away from 13 on the day she passed away.

Where did you get your pet?

From a local breeder. She was my high school graduation gift. The last words out of the breeder's mouth were, "None of my dogs have ever had back problems."

What is your pets physical challenge?

She slipped two disks in her back and lost control of her back legs.

What is your pets favorite thing to do?

She loved to play hide and seek with my dad and go on walks with my mom. Trips to Granny's were a special treat. She also loved to go to PetSmart. One time, my mom and I took her to pick out a new toy. As we were walking by the guinea pigs she stopped dead in her tracks. "Whoa, what are these," was the look on her face. Then she looked back at my mom as if to say, "Mom, can I get one?" And my mom replied, "No, Charlotte, you can't have a guinea pig today." People all around us laughed.

What is your pets favorite thing to eat?

Whenever my mom would grate cheese, Charlotte would come running. Mom only gave her a tiny bit but she LOVED it.

What do you love most about your pet?

She was my best friend. I could tell her anything.

Char10


What has your pet most taught you?

She really had a "I'm so happy to be alive." attitude. More people should live that way.

Anything else you’d like to share?

Charlotte brought joy to many people. The vet would ask to have her for the day, and they would use her to educate people that pets with special needs can be happy too. One time, I had her out, and a man looked down at her then said to me, "I feel so bad for her. That's so sad." I told him don't feel sorry for her. She was very happy and I'd still put my money on her to chase cats and birds out of the yard. Her disability didn't define her, it just became a part of her. We all adapted and life was good.

Such a beautiful tribute to Charlotte!  I couldn't agree more that yes, we adapt, and life is good.  Frankie has absolutely taught me that too.  Thank you for sharing Charlotte with us!

Charl.19 


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Suzanne Lieurance said...

What a nice profile of Charlotte! She was a special dog who just happened to have special needs!