About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Skype Classroom Visit with 4th Graders from Spring Valley, NY

Skype Classroom Visit with 4th Graders from New York

Getting reactions back from children that my author Mom (Barbara Techel) and I meet via Skype (and in-person) is one of th most rewarding things about what we do. My heart flutters really fast when I hear back from kids... it is so priceless!  Tuesday we did a Skype call with a Mrs. Gershenoff''s 4th grade class at Hempstead Elementary School in Spring Valley, NY.  They are studying nonfiction books and writing books of their own as part of their studies.  Their teacher sent some of their reactions to us connecting with them via Skype which they put in their writer's notebook.
Skype visit with NY 4th graders
Photo taken by Mrs. Gershenoff from the view of the classroom while talking to me and Frankie on Skype!
By: Jonathan
Oh my gosh!  It was so cool!  This was my first time that I really saw an author.  My heart was beating so fast. I had butterflies in my stomach when I asked my question.  I didn’t know when we read the book that she was going to actually Skype with us.  I was so excited!  My brother is going to be jealous that I met and author.  So are my friends.
By: Christy
Skyping with Barbara Techel was amazing! We even got to see Frankie!  She was so cute.  Barbara even woke her up from her beauty sleep to  show her to us. She answered all of our questions.  She even said she would talk about us on TV, but only if she got back on TV.  Maybe if Mrs. Gershenoff gives me her email and Skype I can Skype her too.
By: Adelle
I really liked when the author showed us Frankie.  I would like to do it again! It was sooo cute Skyping with a real author.  I really wish Frankie and Mrs. Techel would visit us in person.  I also wish we had more time together on Skype.
By: Ryan
It was so overwhelming to see a real life character from a book!  I would love to do this again!
By: Lewis
OMG! Meeting Barbara Techel and Frankie was soooo exciting!  I was ready to hog the computer and talk to Barbara all day and not give the others a turn.
This is what they posted on their classroom website as well:
3.09.11 Wow!  Today we had an amazing experience!  We Skyped with an Award Winning Author, Barbara Techel, author of Frankie the Walk 'n Roll Dog.  She taught us about writing our own nonfiction stories and gave us tips on what to do if we get stuck on writing a part of our story.  She also shared some of her own personal feelings and life events about her dog Frankie and her challenges.  Be sure to ask your child all about this incredible activity! Also, check out our class blog where we posted about the book.  We even received a blog post from Barbara Techel! I have also sent home a flier if you are intersted in purchasing an autographed copy of one of Ms. Techel's books.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: