About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Friday, January 14, 2011

A Tribute to Eddie's Wheels Mascot, Daisy


It was so hard for my mom and I to hear about the passing of Daisy, who for 16-years was the mascot for Eddie's Wheels. She passed away from a stroke.  Mom and I cried like a baby reading the news.

In 2006, my mom, after researching many different wheelchair companies to have one fitted for me, she kept going back to Eddie's Wheels.  Their story of why they started the company because of Ed's Doberman, Buddha, had who suffered a back injury many years ago, and how Ed designed a wheelchair for his beloved Buddha really spoke to my mom's heart .  At the time, Ed's vet didn't think a wheelchair would work for the dog... but Ed and Buddha proved him wrong.  

Seeing how well Ed's dog did, the vet started referring people to Ed for wheelchairs for their pets.  Eddie's Wheels was born out of love to help other animals thrive and live happy, long lives despite a disability
.
In 2001 they adopted Daisy and here is her story from Eddie's Wheels website:

Chief Executive Dog, Ret.  Daisy was born in Ecuador, raised in Jersey City and became disabled due to 4 herniated discs in 2001.
Judged not to be a surgical candidate, she was surrendered to the St. Francis of Assisi Shelter who contacted us about wheels.
We adopted Daisy in September of 2001.  She has been a brilliant ambassador for disabled dachshunds, demonstrating an irascible spirit and feisty attitude that challenges anyone who would dare pity her.

Mom and I agree with all our hearts of what a brilliant ambassador Daisy was for disabled dachshunds.  Doxie's do have this amazing fighting spirit and Daisy was no exception.  Her love for life on wheels is one of the main reasons my mom chose Eddie's Wheels.  She fell head over heals in love with her -and I knew she still loved me too.  :)

Daisy has made such an incredible impact on the lives of many animals, proving that the word disability is just a word... give a doxie a challenge and they will take it on with their upbeat, determined feisty spirit, and let nothing get in their way.

Daisy taught us that life goes on, and when you have wheels, you can fly pretty darn fast!  She taught us to treat her no different than anyone else and as her bio said, don't dare take pity on her.

Ed, Leslie and all the Eddie's Wheels family, please know my and my mom's hearts are heavy for the loss of such an amazing dog that Daisy was, and that we will miss her greatly.  But how blessed we feel to have found you in a time of great need, and how Daisy truly inspired my mom and gave her hope, that I too could live a full, happy, quality life just like Daisy.  We will always be incredibly grateful.  And I promise to carry on with Daisy's message as only a doxie can do... and that Eddie's Wheels will always be our #1 recommendation for wheelchairs for pets.

Rest in peace, Daisy... My mom and I shall miss you very much...

As a special tribute dedicated to the memory of Daisy we share the illustration and page in our book,Frankie the Walk 'N Roll Dog.

Everyone hopes I will walk again and I do not want to disappoint them. However, after three months, not much as changed in my legs. But Mom and Dad do not give up on me and find another way for me to walk with wheels! It is a cart made especially for dogs similar to a wheelchair they make for people.

My mom researches the internet and finds a good cart. The president of the company is a dog who looks just like me and her name is Daisy. She is also paralyzed and has a cart. One night Mom and Dad measure from the bottom of the floor to the top of my belly, the base of my neck to the tip of my tail, and then around my little chest. The cart will fit me perfectly and I will be able to zoom down the block!
Thank you again, Daisy for being our hero on wheels, and giving us hope that our little Frankie would live a happy life on wheels!


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: