About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Saying Goodbye to my Pal Kirby

On Tuesday Mom shared the loss of a very special Maine Coon cat, named Sunshine on her blog.  He was my grandma's cat, but was very much a part of my life.  Click here to read about Sunshine and how he was instrumental in helping to me hop like a rabbit nine months after my IVDD diagnoses.


Today I share my memories of Kirby, a dachshund with much character, and who also happened to be my boyfriend.  He left us for the Rainbow Bridge on Monday, January 17th.
35072_1531808736617_1276719912_1496421_831530_n
Kirby stayed with our family often, while his family went on vacation.  He was a dog with a lot of spunk and you could see it the minute you were in his presence.

He could do the "stay" commandment with just his stance and a look that had my 100 lb. lab, Kylie stay right where she was laying as he pranced by.

Every time he'd come bounding through the front door, after putting Kylie in her stay position, he'd charge after the love of his life, and yup, that was me.  After much playing and chasing, they'd often settle down to nap only as wiener dogs can do. I loved to snuggle next to his warm body.
Frankie and kirby sleeping
Kirby was a big part of our family... and yes, I even forgave his Dad for being a Viking fan.  And it was lucky for Kirby he was so cute that my mom and I did not object to his daily walks when with us, outfitted in his Viking harness and leash.  

My Dad, John and Kirby had a special connection and often referred to Kirby as "the little man."  In a houseful of all girls, Dad always welcomed Kirby for a visit to feel not so out numbered.

Many summers on the weekends Kirby and I would hang out on the deck soaking up the sun. I would settle in and roll over with my belly pointing to the sky.  But, Kirby, well he had to be on patrol, keeping watch over the backyard in case of another intruder.  He wanted nothing to happen to me, his best girl.

It won't be the same not having Kirby come to visit, but like Sunshine, we feel so very blessed to have known Kirby and that his parents entrusted us to care for him.

Thank you, Kirby for being the best boyfriend a wiener dog girl could ever ask for.  We know we will all meet again someday... and I will be so happy to snuggle with you again.  Thanks for being our friend.
Frankie and Kirby 


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: