About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Making Friends as a Therapy Dog

Being a therapy dog I make lots of friends!  Once a month I volunteer at my local hospital.  I also volunteer once or twice a month at a local community hospice.  This is where people who are sick come to stay who have 6 months or less to live.  It is very beautiful at this hospice called Sharon S. Richardson Hospice Community.

Then once a month I visit Libby's House (this is the place my new book is all about!). Most of the residents are older- like grandma's and grandpa's.  One of my favorite residents is Lyla (not her real name).  She just turned 96 years old!


She has a hard time talking, but that's ok, I just listen and pretend I know what she is saying.  Most times I lick and lick her hand to show her I love her.  One day as I was licking her hand she said, "Kisses."  Clear as a bell!  My mom couldn't believe it!  That was the only clear word she has ever said, but we thought it was very special.  Just as special as Lyla is.

Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Frankie!

My Mom just became a follower, but let me make a comment - you have a great blog! You are such an inspiration to all of us. All the special folks at Libby's house are lucky to have you as a friend. That is so cool that you helped Lyla say "kisses" when you were licking her hand! I love to do my therapy work too, it's fun to cheer people up in the hospital we go to.

I'm going to get my own blog going some day, I'll let you know when it's ready!

Tailwags, Cosmo

Barbara Techel said...

Hi Susan and Cosmo,

Thank you for your lovely note! We are excited for you that you will have your own blog someday! Do let us know when it is up and running.

Hugs and kisses,
Frankie and Barbara

Unknown said...

What a wonderful gift you are, Frankie! I'm glad I found your blog and look forward to following it!

Barbara Techel said...

Thank you, Jason. Your Maggie looks and sounds like a wonderful gift too. Love her blog! We dogs are so talented at keeping blogs, aren't we? Woof!

Frankie

Unknown said...

Yep Frankie, puppies are great bloggers!