About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Making an Impact on a Young Writer

My mom, me, Emily (on far right) and her little sister.  We met them at Butterfly Bookstore during the reading of my new book!

My mom and I were quite humbled when we received this email from Emily's mom:

"You really have made a positive effect on Emily, she has gained so much confidence in her writing since being encouraged by you. You seem to make a positive impact on everyone you meet!"

Well, Emily made quite the impression on me and my mom- she has a very creative mind.  She shared with us how she and her friend play "ghost dogs" during their recess breaks at school.

I perked my ears in curiosity, and good thing my mom was just as curious because she said, "How do you play ghost dogs?"

Emily went on to tell us how she and her friend love dogs, but they can't bring dog toys to school, so they pretend they have dogs and make believe doing fun things with them.  We thought that was so cool!

Mom said, "You have a wonderful imagination.  You should be a writer."  That is when Emily told us she wrote a poem about a poodle!  So we asked if she would email us her poem so we could share with all of you (see below)-- We hope it inspires each of you to follow your creativity.  When you do, it makes your heart feel really good and you just might find yourself smiling all the time... just like sweet, wonderful Emily.

Thank you, Emily for sharing your delightful poem with me and my mom!  Keep up on the writing- you are on your way!!

Once I Owned Oodles of Poodles
By Emily

Once I owned oodles of poodles
I fed them noodles
Once I owed oodles of poodles
They doodled
Once I owned oodles of poodles
I went noodles
Once I owned oodles of poodles
They went noodles
So I got sheepdogs instead.



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: