About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Special Needs Pet Feature: Idgie

Just a special reminder to join author Barbara Techel, Frankie the Walk 'N Roll Dog book series and author Mary Shafer, Disabled Pets and the People Who Love Them over at award winning and pet expert Darlene Arden's Facebook Fan page on the disscussion board as we discuss:  Who's Savin' Who? How Rescued Special Needs Pets Rescue Us.
Idgie
What is your pet's name?
Idgie, named after the lead character in my favorite movie, "Fried Green Tomatoes," because she's a scrappy little fighter, just like Imogene Louise Threadgoode.

How old is your pet?
Almost 9

Where did you get your pet?
We adopted her from a PetSmart store, where she was the last of her litter that had been rescued from the streets of Philly after their mom had been killed.

What is your pet's physical challenge?
Idgie was born with anophthalmia -- no eyes. She is completely blind and has never seen.

What is your pet's favorite thing to do?
Idgie loves to lay in my lap while I'm working, half on the  keyboard tray, purring.

What is your pet's favorite thing to eat?
I know I'm gonna have so many people yell at me about this: She absolutely ADORES pizza-flavored Goldfish Crackers from Pepperidge Farm. I don't give her a lot of them, but I can't open the bag without her flying into my office from wherever she is in the house.

What do you love most about your pet?
She is just the best little pal I've ever had. Perhaps because of her own trials, she's very sensitive to the emotions of others. But I also love how incredibly intelligent she is. You can almost see her thinking sometimes.

What has your pet most taught you?
That there is always a way. If she wants something bad enough, she figures out a way to make it happen or get it. I don't think she's even aware she lacks what so many of us consider a vital sense, so she doesn't allow it to limit her. That makes me realize I never have any excuse not to try.

Anything else you’d like to share?
I'd like to think Idgie was brought into my life to help me become a better person, more self-sufficient yet sensitive to others, and to be strong. But I must admit that I have no dread like that of the day she will leave me. It's something I cannot even bear to think about. I hope when that day comes, I prove myself worthy of having been blessed with her love and the gift of her in my life.
---------------------------------
***If you care for a special needs pet and would like your pet featured, please email me through my website contact. Send a photo and I will forward the questionnaire for your pet to be featured in an upcoming post.***


Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

What an inspiring post. Idgie is wonderful ... and we loved the movie!

Hannalei said...

She is so beautiful!!! Wonderful to see photos of beautiful imperfect perfection( as I call my Shiloh ) :)

Barbara Techel said...

We are so happy you enjoyed meeting Idgie-- I get to Skype with her now and then when my mom talks with her mom. Idgie is a real sweetheart!

Frankie