About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Book Review: Glamour Girl from the Stars

Any children's book that teaches self-acceptance is #1 to me!  Glamour Girl from the Stars sounds like it might not be about self-acceptance, but as PleeDee the alien from outer space will show you, she learns that no matter where you come from, we are each unique and special in our own way.  So I am very excited to share this book with you today through Carlton Scott's Virtual Book Tour.


I'm all about teaching kids to accept themselves no matter what, so when my mom read Glamour Girl from the Stars to me, I knew I had to share this book with all of you.  Especially girls, who seem to struggle just a bit harder with accpeting themselves for who they are.  And being a girl, in a doggie wheelchair, I know what that is all about... but we each have our challenges, so we must look past that and find the many good things about ourselves.

PleeDee, a.k.a. Glamour Girl travels to Rome, Italy, Asia and Africa, to name just a few stops she made, on her way to the Miss Universe pagent in the USA.  She thinks competing in this pagent will define who she is... to only realize it is not about size, color, or race that defines us.  It is what inside that counts. It is how we share our love with others and in order to do that, we must first love ourselves just as we are.

My favorite part was when my mom read me this in the book, "After traveling to and fro across outer space's unknown, PleeDee discovers her world is similar to our own.  When little girls live up to their potentioal wherever they are, they'll shine brightly with confidence no matter how near or far."

This book really does an excellent job at teaching us that to love ourselves for who we are means our hearts will be able to reach out to others and love them for who they are.  I also loved the fun, whimsical illustrations.


If I could make one wish, it would be for all of us to accept ourselves, especially girls.  Just imagine all the good we could do in the world if we did!  So that is my challenge to each of you... so start by reading this book with your Mom and Dad.  If there are things that make you sad about yourself, talk with them about it after reading this book... then each and everyday remember Glamour Girl (and me too!) and the lessons we have taught you... each morning wake up and look yourself in the mirror and say, "I love myself just the way
I am!" Arf-a-roo!
                                      

Scott has dedicated his life to working with children, both as a nurse and a mental health worker.  He has written and illustrated three picture books for children. As part of his commitment to supporting children's health, he donates 50 percent of all profits from his books to children's hospitals across the country.  He created his newest book, Glamour Girl from the Stars, to foster self acceptance in young girls.



To learn more about Carlton Scott and his books visit his website.

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

3 doxies said...

Thank you so much for sharing this story. As a mom to a seven year old girl I am going to have to purchase this book really fast.
And Frankie, you are looking beautiful as ever. It has been a long time since I have been to your blog.
Allison