About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Answers for my Friends in Canada

A few weeks ago I had a grand ol' time doing a Skpe presentation for a fourth grade class in Canada. This past week I received a big envelope with lots of thank you notes and more questions. I LOVE MAIL!! So I thought I'd take this opportunity to answer your questions. And thank you for all the great notes... my mom, papa, sister Kylie, and I all laughed and sometimes got a bit teary-eyed. And a BIG THANK YOU for the awesome T-shirt you sent me! Hope you like the picture of me in it!!


From Rachel: Does Frankie do any tricks?

Well, Rachel, I wish I could say I do tricks, but I don't. I can sort of do wheelie's in my dog wheelchair when I hop with my front legs while in my wheelchair!


From Brandon: What is it like to be in a doggie wheelchair?

You know, that is a great question! It is actually wonderful, because it helps me to go wherever I want to go. So I can run, chase rabbits and squirrels and do all the things I couldn't do when I first got hurt and couldn't use my legs.


Have you ever been injured badly before?

I have not told this story often, but I almost died, which happened about one month before I became paralyzed. My yellow lab sister was 6 months old at the time and chewed up a rug in the kitchen. I ate the carpet strings that she chewed from the rug. I got really sick. I kept throwing up and couldn't stop. My mom rushed me to the vet and I was rushed into surgery. The vet called my mom and told her she saved my life. When he did the surgery the carpet strings had almost wrapped around my intestines, which would have killed me. I'm one lucky dog that my mom saved me!!


From Euggne: Does Frankie have a brother or sister?

I have the best sister in the world! She is a English yellow lab and her name is Kylie. I love her!

Where was Frankie born?

Frankie was born in Madison, Wisconsin


From Jad: Can Frankie run faster than a bike?

Well, not quite, but I am really, really fast in my wheels!!


From Billy: Did Frankie ever enter any other costume contests?

Lots of times!! I even won a $50 gift card for PetSmart once!!

Does Frankie bark alot because I really want to know

Well, not really, Billy. I do bark when someone comes to the front door to protect my family. And I love to bark at big dogs so they see me and don't step on me!!


I'll let my mom answer the following two questions

From Ashlea: How did you feel when you found out Frankie got hurt?

I was very scared and sad. I hoped with all my might Frankie would be okay and thank goodness she was!

How did you get the idea of writing the book about Frankie?

I really got the idea from Frankie because she inspired me. I was also inspired because so many kids loved seeing Frankie and wanted to know her story, so I thought I should write a book about her!


From Tyreece: Is Frankie going to go trick-or-treating?

I don't like to walk real far anymore, so I will be staying home and helping my mom hand out candy to all the trick-or-treaters which I love to do! I will be a pumpkin!


Nonissa: How does Frankie walk up big hills?

Tee hee, I usually don't. My mom carries me.


From Dalsota: How is Frankie when she is really tired?

I just find one of my many beds with blankets my mom has for me in my house and I snuggle under the blanket, get all cozy and fall asleep.


From Ethan: Where do you go when Frankie got paralyzed?

First I had to go to my regular vet and then I had to be rushed to a hospital where they did the surgery on my back. Three days later my mom came and picked me up and brought me home. That was the best when I saw my mom!!

Thank you everyone for all your great questions! If you have more, please feel free to email me at joyfulpaws@yahoo.com

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: