About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Special Needs Pet Feature of the Week: Mira Bella

Mira 1
What is your pets name? 
Mira Bella

How old is your pet? 
6 years

Where did you get your pet? 
I had a friend on a dachshund site that posted that she has made contact with an old high school friend in the New Orleans area, and that person had a “piebald” dachshund that she was going to have put to sleep because she couldn’t walk.
After much thought I decided that I would take the dog and rehab her so she would not have to be destroyed.  When I finally saw pictures of her I realized immediately that she was a Double Dapple.  Then kind of as an afterthought her old owner mentioned that she was also deaf.  At that point it didn’t matter anyhow so I flew to New Orleans and brought her home to Montana with me. 
I took her to my vet and after X-rays found out she was paralyzed due to blunt trauma or some kind of crushing force to her spine.    Since I am a certified canine massage therapist I began a rigorous rehab program with her as she had been down for so long that she was way beyond the point that surgery could help. 
She now can walk albeit wobbly.  In the cold months she has some mobility issues and so we continue her rehab therapies as she needs them.

What is your pets physical challenge? 
Mira is incontinent, deaf, and partially blind on top of her back issues.

What is your pets favorite thing to do? 
Mira is a real cuddly snuggler, and she loves to run, romp and play with my other dogs.  My favorite thing Mira does is what we call going psycho dog, when I vacuum the house the sound doesn’t bother her at all of course but I think she can feel the vibration because she will race around as fast as she can and then grab the closest stuffy toy she can and give it the old doxie death shake.
Mira 2
What is your pets favorite thing to eat? 
Mira is a real cheese hound.  If I go anywhere near the fridge she is right there hoping for a slice.

What do you love most about your pet? 
I love Mira’s dedication, and her ability to love in spite of the abuse she suffered before she came to me.

What has your pet most taught you? 
You can’t keep a good dog down.  Her tenacity and determination to walk and be able to chase around and play with my dogs is amazing.  I think much like most dogs Mira has no idea she has any handicaps and is just as active and playful as the rest of my gang.

Anything else you’d like to share? 
Mira has been an inspiration to many in this area, and the funny thing is with the work I did with her I ended up becoming something of a downed doxie referral person with my vet.  Thanks to Mira and her story no less than 6 doxies have been spared euthanasia after the dogs parents met her and heard her story.
Mira1 (2)
***If you care for a special needs pet and would like your pet featured, please email me through my website contact. Send a photo and I will forward the questionnaire for your pet to be featured in an upcoming post.***


Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mira Bella is so beautiful. I have a double dapple named Tewey. He is blind on his white side and has trouble with the other eye. He is a real love though dispite his disabilty.
She is so lucky you rescued her and aren't we lucky to have such wonderful dogs?

Barbara Techel said...

She is beautiful, isn't she? I love her colors and markings. Wow, that is interesting too about your Tewey. Bless you for loving him. :)