About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Learning to use my wheels!


Question submitted by Rachel, age 11
How long did it take you to adjust to your wheels?
The above picture is an illustration from my book, Frankie, the Walk 'N Roll Dog. This shows me when I first got my wheels and I how I learned to roll in them. When my mom first put me in my cart I wasn't sure what to do. I stood still as a statue and wouldn't move an inch. The my mom ran in the house and got my favorite treats. She placed them a few feet apart on the road in front of our house. They looked so good I rolled towards them and gobbled each one up and before I knew it, I was rolling!! ARF-A-ROO! So it took me about a whole five minutes to adjust to my wheels. I had to learn how to back up, which didn't take me long either. And now when I get stuck on the corner of a table or chair, I know how to get myself unstuck.

No comments: