About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Monday, December 8, 2008

Frankie's Special Wheels

Question submitted by Lucas from school in Sheboygan, Wisconsin

Frankie, Where did you get your wheels?
My wheels came from a company in Shelburn Falls, MA called Eddie's Wheels (www.eddieswheels.com). They are a really cool company! Eddie had a dog many years ago that couldn't walk. He had a back injury. Eddie's regular job at the time was an Engineer. This meant he liked to design and build things. When his dog couldn't walk he went into his basement and designed a doggie wheelchair for his dog. Eddie's vet said it would never work and didn't think the dog would walk in it. But he did! The vet was amazed!! The vet started telling other people about Eddie and sending their dogs who couldn't walk to him. That is how Eddie company started. He now makes wheels for dogs around the world!!
My cart is custom fit to fit me. My mom and dad measured from the base of my neck to the end of where my tail starts. This would determine how long my cart would be. They then measured from the top of my belly to the bottom of the floor. This determined how high my cart would be. The rest is history... once my cart arrived and I figured out how it worked, nothing stopped me from zooming around the house!

No comments: